Nyapari, APY Lands, South Australia
Tjungu Palya is an Indigenous-owned art centre based in Nyapari community, on the APY Lands of South Australia. Tjungu Palya means working together in a good and happy way. At Tjungu Palya, artists from the three communities of Kanpi, Nyapari and Watarru come together to paint to earn money to support their families.
Since its incorporation in 2006, Tjungu Palya has grown to be a dynamic and innovative community art centre. Located about 100 km south of Uluru (Ayres Rock), Nyapari is set at the base of the majestic Mann Ranges in the heart of country traditionally owned by the Pitjantjatjara people.
Tjungu Palya is an Aboriginal owned and governed art enterprise, where 60% of sales income is returned to the artist and the remaining 40% reinvested in their art centre business. Its financial strength enables the artists to support community development through projects such as aged care and lunch program, governance training and cultural maintenance – all to the benefit of artists, their families, and communities.